Volunteer to be a Floating Librarian!
Floating Librarians are a huge part of the smooth sailing of the Floating Library. They are responsible for checking out books to eager patrons, helping secure boats to the raft and making a pleasant reading experience for all. Sign up today to hang out with the sun, surf, great books and other folks!
Floating Librarian tasks include:
- Paddling to the Library’s raft in a canoe + some set up/breakdown
- Hang out on the raft, make reading suggestions to boaters
- Help patrons check out books, keep books organized
- Assist with boat parking at the raft – knot tying experience not necessary! (We have a book for that…)
- Administer MadLibs story surveys
All shifts take place at Lake Phalen.
NEW THIS YEAR: On-shore Librarians. Don’t want to float? On Sunday, July 22 and 29th from 1-4 pm we need volunteers to assist with the new on-land Library station. A small selection of Floating Library books will be available for folks who don’t want to get in a boat. Accompanied by Floating Library artist in residence Anh-Hoa Nguyen’s boat-folding project. Help check out books and fold boats with the curious public.
SAFETY NOTE: If you can’t swim, Floating Librarian is not a good job for you. The Library has life preservers and is not likely to capsize, but you should be on the safe side and sign up for an on-shore shift.
There will be a Volunteer Orientation on Wed, July 11, 6:30 – 7:30 pm, at Lake Phalen’s Picnic Shelter. You’ll get a sneak peek at this year’s artist book submissions while drinking sparkle water.